This week Mobile World Live (MWL), the content portal for the GSMA, reported that the mobile phone celebrates 50th birthday of first call, news that got our team of global connectivity experts chatting!
Apparently, engineer, inventor and Father of the Cell Phone, Marty Cooper, who is now 94, “made the first call on a New York City street using a phone that weighed just under a kilogram and had a battery life of 25 minutes”.
“Cooper and his team at Motorola developed the brick-shaped DynaTAC 8000X commercial mobile phone ten years after a prototype was used for that first call. At the time, it worked in just two US cities. Those phones sold for $4,000 ($10,000 in today’s money) when they first became available”
Today the GSMA figures “shows the mobile industry has grown to 5.4 billion unique mobile subscribers as of end-2022 and is on track to hit 6.3 billion by 2030. There are also more than 8.4 billion SIM connections globally” and “there are now more mobile phones than people on the planet.”
Telecom26 - providing global connectivity, maritime connectivity and IoT connectivity
Today Telecom26 provides coverage across more than 1100 network connections and 620 mobile operators in 200+ countries.
We offer a full range of telecom services and connectivity options including 5G (where available), LTE-M, Wi-Fi, private networks, 2G, 3G and 4G, as well offshore connectivity capabilities.
With regards to 5G, we now offer it in 50+ countries with more being added once we have tested them and are satisfied with the service. 5G is available to all our customers with the same pricing as our other services so there are no extra charges or hidden costs.
You can read more about our 5G network here.
Telecom26’s global SIM cards
At the heart of Telecom26’s global connectivity, maritime connectivity and IoT connectivity services are our global eSIMs and physical SIM cards.
Just one of our eSIMs or physical SIMs:
- Provides access to all of the networks covered by our global roaming service.
- Removes the need to worry about the coverage of a single MNO, or the existence of roaming alliances. Our global SIMs select the best performing network in the area, cross-border, while providing enterprises with the freedom to change SIM profiles and services with ease.
- Can be customised with routing profiles built for each device according to a customer’s needs and budget. For example, for organisations that are more price sensitive we can ensure that our Global eSIM cards automatically connect to the cheapest service in the area.
In a nutshell, Telecom26 enables connectivity, anywhere - so that your devices can connect to the best available network, regardless of location.
The Telecom26 Business Travel SIM
One of the many advantages of using our new Business Travel Talk, Text & Travel service, is that people don’t have to replace their existing subscriptions. They can use the service they already subscribe to in their home country – and with a few quick taps move to Telecom26 when they are abroad.
Our Business Travel eSIMs are quick and easy to install using a QR code or link to download the profile. Other benefits include:
- Available as a monthly subscription bundle, Talk, Text & Travel provides the flexibility people, and the organisations they work for, need to manage costs and control usage. Different packages are available, giving optimised bundles for different regions – customers can choose the option they need to suit their business and travel requirements.
- Single invoice and management portal for all users and devices
- Full control of eSIM allocation and activation
- Near real-time usage monitoring
- Ability to set alerts and related actions via the portal
Please click here to learn more about how Talk, Text & Travel can reduce your mobile bill – and provide a better service for when you’re abroad.
Get In Touch
Telecom26’s customers include enterprises, OEMs and NGOs who want a single delivery partner, cross-border solutions and network coverage that is secure, resilient and can be tailored to meet specific and evolving needs.
If you’d like to organise a video call to discuss how we can help improve the global connectivity of your team when they are out and about including maritime connectivity and IoT connectivity please get in touch.