We are a maritime mobile operator and providing always-available voice and data connectivity and nearshore connectivity for vessels of all shapes and sizes is one of Telecom26’s core services.
Whether it’s a ship travelling from China to Europe laden with containers, or a sunny Sunday on a yacht, our Cellular At Sea service which uses nearshore connectivity is all that’s needed to stay connected.
We provide connectivity to all types of vessels, from the most luxurious of pleasure boats to fishing vessels to oil tankers, bulk carriers and container ships. We use cellular coverage including nearshore connectivity complementing it with satellite where necessary.
Telecom26’s maritime connectivity service provides a full mobile network for crew and passengers on ships, tankers, boats and yachts of all shapes and sizes. Our maritime connectivity and nearshore connectivity services can support ship to shore data services, as well as crew welfare while at sea.
The size of the vehicles, their cargo and the number of seafarers might be widely different but they have a few things in common.
Maritime connectivity is more important than ever as there is a growing trend for the adoption of digital processes for managing vessels and the collection of remote data is important to support this. In addition, freight and cargo contain a growing number of IoT monitors, so that goods can be tracked, and the status monitored. Container management is hugely important – and IoT devices equipped with SIMs are key to enabling more effective tracking and management, through the connectivity they unlock.
Before they were introduced to Telecom26, our maritime connectivity and nearshore connectivity customers were tired of exorbitant roaming charges. Tired of having to change SIMs/switch phones when they crossed borders. Tired of patchy service. Tired of multiple bills from different providers.
Telecom26’s nearshore connectivity service
This Nearshore Connectivity survey was an interesting read for our nearshore connectivity experts. 6,000 deep-sea commercial ships and their operators said that their vessels spend 60% of their time in port or coastal waters - and potentially within cellular coverage.
Our nearshore connectivity data-only service has been specifically designed to provide access to land-based cellular networks for fast, high bandwidth data use for these vessels. Most land-based cellular networks provide coverage up to 30km out to sea.
Our Global SIMs (physical and eSIMs) provide a very simple way to provide data to all onboard devices via nearshore connectivity links. By onboard devices we mean Wi-Fi routers, container sensors, IoT networks and any system process that needs to connect to the internet, to a remote server or monitor.
Our SIMs can be inserted into any GSM (2G, 3G, 4G and future 5G) router, which we can also supply, as required. An eSIM is also easy to install requiring only a simple software download.
Most importantly, only a single SIM is required – there is no need to swap SIMs when moving between nearshore connectivity in different regions and countries.
Our SIMs can access any terrestrial and nearshore connectivity network. Not all networks are equally available – some offer better coverage in some locations than others. And, every country has its own range of terrestrial network operators. This means that, as a vessel moves along the coast, different nearshore connectivity networks may be available.
Because our nearshore connectivity SIMs can connect to any of these nearshore connectivity networks, coverage can be maintained. This applies as vessels cross international borders. So, as a container ship travels across Asia or a yacht moves from one Caribbean island to another, devices and routers can hop between different nearshore connectivity networks with ease – and will benefit from the bundle pricing we offer. This means there’s no need to worry about the hidden costs of global roaming.
An earlier blog about private networks at sea and how, as a maritime operator, Telecom26 is building out mobile private networks at sea for a number of customers as part of our Cellular At Sea service which uses nearshore connectivity when a vessel is hugging the coast.
If you’d like to discuss how our maritime connectivity and nearshore connectivity services can support ship to shore data services, as well as crew welfare while at sea through our cellular at sea solutions, then please get in touch.
Telecom26, MWC, maritime and nearshore connectivity
At Mobile World Congress which takes place in Barcelona February 27 – March 3 we will be showcasing our maritime and nearshore connectivity services as well our many other global connectivity services and capabilities including:
- Talk, Travel & Text, a full mobile service able to offer SMS, cellular voice as well as data. We connect our customers to the best network when they travel. Available either as Pay-As-You-Go or via a monthly subscription bundle, Talk, Text & Travel provides the flexibility people, and the organisations they work for, need to manage costs and control usage. Different packages are available, giving optimised bundles for different regions – customers can choose the option they need to suit their business and travel requirements. And, unlike other global connectivity providers, we offer dedicated support to ensure our customers have a trouble-free experience –and peace of mind.
- Our IoT offering: Telecom26 provides solutions to support any IoT application in the supply chain, from basic SIMs with global coverage, eSIMs for integration with specialised devices, routers to provide local and macro connectivity, all the way to complete private cellular networks.
- eSIM enablement solutions for service providers – We will be officially launching our new Local Profile Assistant on device (LPAd) soon. This will make it possible for router manufacturers to offer their customers local and remote eSIM management.
We are already integrating our Global SIM cards into Teltonika’s RUT241, industrial cellular routers. Their customers will receive a router with the SIM inserted and ready for immediate deployment - and the first organisation to benefit from our improved global connectivity service will be our long-term digital eHealth customer, SystemOne.
- Our 5G network service which is growing all the time – currently 50+. 5G is available to all our customers with the same pricing as our other services so there are no extra charges or hidden costs
- Global data coverage for business – we are working with a variety of satellite providers to extend our connectivity in international waters, effectively becoming the world’s largest GSM operator by coverage area. If you are interested in knowing more, then Dan Dooley, Chief Commercial Officer of Lynk, one of our partners, will be speaking during the MWC conference:
Lynk has developed the world's only patented, proven, and commercially licensed satellite-direct-to-mobile phone system.
- More new partnerships and upcoming product releases – we are growing fast as more and more organisations look past the giant operators for a customised service for their IoT and global connectivity needs.
Telecom26, Global Connectivity and your business
We’re an independent, global mobile operator with our own network core and operational assets, and relationships with more than 1100 network connections and 620 mobile operators to secure unrivalled global coverage.
We offer a full range of telecom services and connectivity options including 5G (where available), LTE-M, Wi-Fi, private networks, 2G, 3G and 4G, as well offshore and nearshore connectivity capabilities.
Our customers include enterprises, OEMs and NGOs who want a single delivery partner, cross-border solutions and network coverage that is secure, resilient and can be tailored to meet specific and evolving needs.
If you’d like to meet at MWC, or organise a video call, to discuss how we can help your business including nearshore connectivity then please get in touch.