The capabilities of our Global SIMs are of increasing interest to organisations of all sizes particularly those in the UK where high roaming charges are an issue with Brexit leading to “almost all the big mobile phone companies, including EE, Sky Mobile, Three and Vodafone reintroducing EU roaming charges”.
The UK’s The Guardian newspaper also writes that “In 2017, mobile networks in EU countries were banned from charging customers extra to use their phones in other member countries, with the right to make calls, send texts and, most importantly, use data allowances anywhere in Europe – as if at home – one of the most popular pieces of European legislation in the UK. However, the Brexit deal did not include continued protection against roaming charges”.
At Telecom26, we know this is a big issue for organisations in the UK, many of which are now using our Global SIM cards. These can access networks across the world with prices fixed and agreed in advance.
However, most people in the global connectivity industry accept that roaming charges remain high as they are a cash cow for MNOs. This doesn’t, of course, mean they like it. And indeed Telecom26’s Global SIMs were developed to provide an alternative.
Last year Julian Watson, Principal Analyst – Wholesale Telecoms at Omdia a global research leader, wrote a report for Vodafone titled Rethinking Roaming.
In the report, he advises that “enterprises and their suppliers should think less about roaming in its traditional sense of access to voice, messaging, and data when abroad and more about what experiences and applications business travellers will require from connectivity when they are traveling, whether that is seamless access to cloud-hosted technical or customer data, the ability to run high-definition training videos, or low-touch switching between mobile and Wi-Fi networks”.
He writes: “For enterprises, tomorrow’s international business travel should encapsulate two things:
first, the same level of technology-enabled employee experiences, productivity, and security when abroad as in the home country, and
second, the enriching of in-person interactions with clients and prospective clients using digital technologies. For employees, this will mean low-touch, secure roaming between Wi-Fi, public cellular, and the growing footprint of private cellular networks and seamless access to (coupled with robust performance in) cloud-hosted applications, services, and data.”
“Enterprises must also “rethink roaming”…” take a partnership approach with MNOs” and “consider what experiences they require in roaming environment and how they expect their services and applications to perform. As they plan for the future, they should engage closely with MNOs on their performance”.
Maintaining a close relationship with customers, and providing the connectivity that their employees want and need, is Telecom26’s specialty.
Telecom 26, Global SIMs and global connectivity
Telecom26 is an independent, global mobile operator offering worldwide connectivity to devices through our multi-network Global SIMs.
We offer a full range of telecom services and connectivity options through our Global SIMs including 5G (where available), LTE-M, Wi-Fi, private networks, 2G, 3G and 4G, as well offshore connectivity capabilities.
Our customers include enterprises, OEMS and NGOs who want a single delivery partner, cross-border solutions and network coverage that is secure, resilient and can be tailored to meet specific and evolving needs.
At the heart of Telecom26’s services are our global eSIMs and physical Global SIM cards. Just one of our Global SIM cards in a device:
- Provides access to all of the networks covered by our global roaming service through our Global SIMs. That’s 1100+ cellular networks belonging to 650+ mobile operators in 200+ countries.
- Removes the need to worry about the coverage of a single MNO, or the existence of roaming alliances. Our Global SIMs automatically select the best performing network in the area, cross-border, while providing enterprises with the freedom to change SIM profiles and services with ease.
- Can be customised with routing profiles built for each device according to a customer’s needs and budget. For example, for organisations that are more price sensitive we can ensure that our Global SIM cards automatically connect to the cheapest service in the area.
In addition, Telecom26’s Global IoT eSIMs and physical Global SIM cards:
- Are programmable over the air - Over the Air (OTA) updates enable remote control of Global SIM profiles and it’s easy to add new profiles and adjust services on the fly.
- Have secure, independent architecture based on Standards-based, 3GPP-compliant infrastructure, with Tier-1, carrier-grade performance
- Use API access with a full management portal for business process integration and a comprehensive interface, for full control of IoT devices.
We support all current SIM form factors, including 2FF, 3FF and 4FF – that’s mini, micro and nano, as well as MFF2. In addition to classic SIMs, we also offer eSIMs - which provide new levels of flexibility and user control.
We take care of the full end-to-end lifecycle, from programming to reprogramming and all necessary updates.
In a nutshell, Telecom26 enables data connectivity, anywhere - so that your device can connect to the best available network, regardless of location.
You can read more about our enterprise data-only plans, here, or our full-service mobile package, here.
And more about our global roaming service is here.
If you’d like to find out how Telecom26 can help your organisation to embrace the benefits of Global SIMs, IoT Global SIMs, IoT Networks, improve IoT connectivity and Global Connectivity - and maximise IoT Security please contact us.
We will be at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona from 27 February – 2 March and will be launching several new services and discussing lots of other global and maritime connectivity subjects including:
- Our growing global network of 5G partners
- Our Global SIM and eSIM packages – Telecom26 provides a complete range of eSIM and eUICC solutions that enable seamless profile delivery and management and remove the need to ship and deploy physical SIMs
If you’d like to arrange to meet there then please get in touch.
Telecom26 is a full operator member of the GSMA and the ITU.