The global and maritime connectivity teams at Telecom26 are delighted to announce a new partnership with Faroese Telecom which will improve connectivity for Telecom26 customers in the Faroe Islands – and the fishermen who work the surrounding seas.
Telecom26 is a well-established global maritime cellular operator which provides bespoke maritime and marine communications services across the globe to vessels of all sizes from leisure yachts to fishing boats to container ships.
Faroese Telecom has delivered telecommunication solutions to the Faroese people for more than 100 years. The 18 islands of the Faroe archipelago have a population of about 54,000 and lie north/northwest of Scotland between Iceland and Norway in the North Atlantic Ocean.
This new partnership between Telecom26 and Faroese Telecom provides a number of new benefits for the customers of both companies including:
- Telecom26’s customers with Global SIM cards will now be able to access the networks of Faroese Telecom as part of their service package.
- Faroese Telecom’s customers (prepaid and post paid) are now able to use Telecom26’s global mobile network when they are abroad without incurring additional roaming charges.
- Faroese Telecom is also able to offer connectivity to fishing boats and other sailing vessels wherever they are in the world using Telecom26’s Global Mobile network. This is achieved by installing a mobile GSM network on board. Faroese Telecom customers can use their existing data and voice allowances on the Telecom26 network without paying any additional costs for maritime roaming.
Early users of Telecom26’s networks are the fishermen on the Polar Seafood fleet. Headquartered in Greenland, Polar Seafood is one of Scandinavia’s key suppliers of seafood. Its vessels need connectivity to share information in real-life about their catch and landing times. On-board equipment is managed by one of Telecom26's customer, a trusted international supplier with broad experience with maritime projects.
Telecom26’s maritime services include:
- A full Cellular At Sea service for vessels
- A Nearshore Connectivity Service which uses land-based cellular networks that reach up to 30km out to sea
- A Maritime IoT Service including private networks on-board vessels, oil rigs and platforms
At the heart of Telecom26’s maritime services are global SIM-eSIM cards that enable devices on-board moving vessels to automatically access and switch between multiple networks both in-country and across borders thus removing the need to worry about the coverage of a single MNO, or the existence of roaming alliances.
Pietro Cotino, International Roaming Manager, Telecom26, said “We are constantly expanding the coverage of our global mobile network choosing partners that have high-quality networks with excellent customer service. Faroese Telecom cares about its customers and we are glad to be able to provide them with cost-effective connectivity when they are abroad”.
Get In Touch
Telecom26’s Global Mobile service is compatible with 1100 cellular networks from over 650 mobile operators in more than 200 countries. It has also developed a customised router solution which enables connectivity to the best performing network available - cellular, wifi or satellite.
If you’d like to organise a video call,to discuss how we can help improve the global connectivity of your team when they are out and about then including maritime connectivity please get in touch.